Essential oils are the concentrated essences of plants, extracted from their flowers, leaves, stems and other parts. They have been used for centuries to treat a variety of conditions and ailments.
Essential oils have many benefits because they contain active ingredients that work synergistically with your body's natural systems to promote health. The most common types include:
- Citrus oils (orange blossom)
- Spicy/herbal blends (peppermint)
History of Essential Oils
Essential oils have been used for thousands of years, dating back to ancient civilizations. The use of essential oils has been documented in China, India and Egypt as early as 5000 BC. Essential oils have also been found in ancient Greek writings from around that time period.
In more recent history (the last century or so), the use of essential oils has become more popular due to their healing properties and their ability to make us feel good by improving our moods or helping us relax.
Benefits of Essential Oils
Essential oils can be a great addition to your daily routine. They can help improve mental and physical health, skin health, reduce stress and anxiety.
- Improve mental health: Essential oils have been shown to help with depression, anxiety, ADHD and other cognitive disorders.
- Improve physical health: Some essential oils may also be able to help with pain management (such as headaches), inflammation reduction (like arthritis) or even immune system support.* Reduce stress levels: Stress has been linked to many different diseases including cardiovascular disease and cancer so reducing stress levels is important for overall wellness.* Improve skin condition: If you're looking for an easy way to improve your skin's appearance then adding some essential oils into your routine could be just what you need!
Essential Oils for Aromatherapy
Aromatherapy is the use of essential oils to improve mood and health. Essential oils can be used in a variety of ways, including massage, baths and diffusers. Aromatherapy is often used to treat stress and anxiety by helping you relax or sleep better.
Essential oils are extracted from plants through distillation or cold pressing (a process that uses no heat). Each essential oil has its own unique scent profile based on its chemical composition; for example, lavender has an herbaceous aroma while rosemary smells like pine needles.
Essential Oils for Skin Care
Essential oils are used in skin care for a variety of reasons, including:
- To improve the appearance of your skin. Essential oils can be applied directly to the skin or mixed with other ingredients to create a mask, lotion or gel. They can also be added to bathwater for an extra-relaxing soak.
- To help treat acne and other conditions that cause breakouts on the face or body. Some essential oils have antibacterial properties that help control blemishes while others contain antioxidants that reduce inflammation caused by pimples and rashes.
- As part of an anti-aging regimen designed to prevent wrinkles from forming prematurely by reducing damage caused by free radicals (unstable molecules) in our bodies over time--which causes cells in our bodies' outermost layer (the stratum corneum) to become damaged more quickly than they would otherwise be able to repair themselves naturally without any intervention at all!
Essential Oils for Hair Care
Essential oils are used in a variety of hair care techniques. Some of the most popular uses include:
- Massage - Massaging essential oils into the scalp can help stimulate blood flow and promote hair growth.
- Steam - Steaming your hair with an essential oil blend can open up pores, which allows for easier styling and faster drying time.
- Shampoo - Adding a few drops of lavender or rosemary oil to your shampoo will give you shiny, healthy-looking locks!
Essential Oils for Pain Relief
Essential oils are used for pain relief in a number of ways. The most common is through topical application, which means you apply the oil directly to your skin. This can be done via massage or simply by rubbing it into the affected area.
Another popular way to use essential oils is by inhaling them through steam inhalation with a towel over your face as you breathe in the steam from hot water mixed with an appropriate amount of essential oil(s).
When applied topically or inhaled, most people find that they experience some kind of relief within minutes and feel better within an hour or two--but this depends on how much they need it!
Essential Oils for Sleep
Essential oils are an excellent way to help you get a good night's sleep. There are a variety of ways that you can use essential oils for this purpose, including:
- Using an oil diffuser in your bedroom. You can add a few drops of lavender or melaleuca (tea tree) oil to the water chamber of your diffuser and turn it on before bedtime. This will help calm any anxieties or worries that might be keeping you awake, while also providing some aromatherapy benefits as well.*
- Applying diluted essential oils directly onto pulse points such as wrists or temples.* Inhaling from a bottle containing diluted essential oils.* Adding 1-2 drops per cup of boiling water for tea made with herbs like chamomile or valerian root.* Mixing 1-2 drops per tablespoon honey for sweetening purposes (this works especially well if there's an herb like lemon balm involved).
Essential Oils for Digestion
Essential oils are used for digestion in a variety of ways. Some people use them as a digestive tonic, which can be added to water and drunk throughout the day. Others prefer to place drops directly on their tongue or add them to food or drinks before eating. There are also essential oils that can be applied topically for relief from indigestion and bloating caused by poor digestion.
Essential oils have been shown to help with several digestive problems including: gas, bloating and constipation due to poor food choices; nausea from overindulging in rich foods; diarrhea caused by an imbalance of bacteria in the gut (such as after taking antibiotics); heartburn due to acid reflux; stomachaches caused by stress/anxiety/depression etc...
Essential oils are powerful and versatile. They can be used to improve your health, boost your mood, and even help you relax. There are many different types of essential oils available for purchase online or at local stores.
If you're interested in learning more about the benefits of essential oils, we recommend checking out our article on how to use them.